Are you aware that Coronavirus has caused so many deaths across the world? In this article, we will dig more of Coronavirus.
What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus termed as an illness caused by a discovered novel coronavirus. It is now referred to as severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2(SARS-CoV-2) and was formerly known as 2019-n CoV. This virus affects the respiratory tract of birds and mammals, not forgetting humans. Its outbreak was reported to WHO on December 31, 2019, after its outbreak was identified in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. On March 11, 2020, COVID-19 was declared a global pandemic by WHO.
COVID-19 acronym, as termed by WHO, was derived from “coronavirus disease 2019”. WHO chose this name to avoid stigmatizing this virus in terms of geography, animal associations, and population.
Since its discovery in Wuhan City, China, COVID-19 has spread to over 200 countries. There have been 4,618,821 laboratory-confirmed cases globally as of 9:00 on May 18, 2020, with 311,847 reported deaths. On March 16, 2020, the number of reported cases and fatalities outside China surpassed those within the country.
Where has the New Coronavirus Come From?
Currently, it is very unclear where the virus came from. This virus was initially understood to have spread from animal to human in a food market in Wuhan. Researchers presented claims that the cross-species transmission between snake and human might have caused this virus. However, this claim has been challenged.
What are the Symptoms of Coronavirus?
This coronavirus symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus and may range from mild symptoms to severe illness.
There are most common symptoms, such as fever, dry cough, and tiredness. However, exposed persons to the virus might also experience less common symptoms like aches and pains, headache, loss of taste and fragrance, sore throat, a rash on skin or finger discoloration and toes, and also diarrhea.
One should seek medication if you experience severe symptoms like loss of speech or movement, shortness of breath/difficulty in breathing, and chest pains. Healthy people experiencing mild symptoms can easily manage their symptoms at home.
It can take 5-6 days for signs to show when someone is infected; however, it can still take up to 14 days.
What Preventive Measures Can I Take Against the Coronavirus Disease?
To prevent infection and slow the rate of transmission of COVID-19, do the following:
- Wash-down your hands often with soap and water. It should be done for 20 seconds when you have been in a public place, after coughing, sneezing, or blowing your nose. If at all you have no soap and water, use alcohol-based sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol to cover all the surfaces of your hand then rub them together until they dry.
- Avoid close contacts. Put a 6 feet distance with people who are sick or members of your household. Keep in mind that infected people with no symptoms can spread the virus.
- Cover your nose and mouth with face cover when around others. It is meant to protect others from infection in case you infected.
- Cover coughs and sneezes. If you have no cloth covering your face, use a tissue to cover your cough and sneeze. Then throw it in a dustbin. Wash your hands immediately.
- Clean and disinfect. Frequently touched surfaces such as tables, switches, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, sinks, etc. should be cleaned and disinfected daily.
Coronavirus is a pandemic disease infecting everyone. We urge people to take these preventive measures seriously and help stop coronavirus infection and transmission. Thanks to this article for it has compiled all the information you need to know about Coronavirus. Take your time and read!